Skip to main content

TVTropes Story Lab

For this story lab, I decided to explore the TV Tropes website. I found this website incredibly useful and interesting. To start I looked at tropes directly related to my storybook like Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue and Suddenly Suitable Suitor. What I really like about these sites is that they give good historical/background information into each trope as well as providing tons of examples. Perusing the examples is definitely the most fun part some of the choices are so obscure or random it really made me laugh. One of the examples of the Suddenly Suitable Suitor is a Scooby Doo episode.

In addition to the articles centered on my storybook, I looked at tropes from some of my favorite genres. I love mysteries and thrillers so I looked through several tropes. One of the ones that stuck out to me is the Anonymous Killer Narrator. This is a trope I've seen a lot in books I read so I was interested to read more about it and see more examples.

Finally, I was shocked to see there was a section for reality tv tropes. Reality tv is definitely one of my guilty pleasures so I looked through a bunch of the tropes on there. Real Life Writes the Plot was particularly interesting to me because I had honestly never thought of that as a trope at all. I also wonder how it can constitute a trope since it's something that happens in real life and is not manipulated for entertainment? Either way, I found the website interesting and helpful.

(Scooby Doo! in Arabian Nights from Wikipedia)

Comments

  1. Hey Meghan,

    What are tropes? I looked at the links to the website you linked in the story, but I am still not quite sure what exactly a trope is. Or how Scooby Doo is related to all of this... From what I can gather it seems like a trope is a sort of stereotype or overused process. Am I on the right line of thinking here? I saw the title of your post and I was interested to find out what a trope is. Enjoy your last few weeks of the semester!

    Brady

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo