Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales Part A

The Field of Boliauns
(Leprechaun with Pot of Gold from Pixabay)
Plot: A young man named Tom was on a walk when he heard a sound in the bushes. Behind the bushes was a little leprechaun with a pitcher. Tom knew you cannot take your eyes of a leprechaun or you may lose their treasure. Tom then engages the leprechaun in a discussion about beer. The leprechaun claims that he can make beer out of heath which Tom claims is impossible. The leprechaun then tries to trick Tom into looking behind him at some cows. Tom almost takes his eyes off the leprechaun but at the last moment, he grabs the leprechaun and demands he show him his money or he will kill him. So he takes Tom to a field of boliauns and points out a specific bunch saying that's where his treasure is. Tom had to go back to get a spade so he tied a red garter around the specific bunch. Before Tom let the leprechaun go, he made him swear not to move the red garter. When Tom got back to the field he saw that every single bunch of boliauns had red garters around them. 

Lesson: Leprechauns are tricky and you better be careful when you get promises from leprechauns.

Ideas: I like this story as is. It's a pretty traditional leprechaun trickery story. For my own story, I would probably do the same type of format but maybe bring it into modern day.

Story Source: This story is from Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo...

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Week 9 Story: Why Cats and Dogs aren't Friends

Why Cats and Dogs aren't Friends (Cat and Dog Fighting from Wikipedia Commons ) There once was a man and a wife who lived in a village. They weren’t rich but they weren’t poor either. One day, foolishly, they decided to sell a valuable gold ring to increase their riches. Unbeknownst to them, the gold ring was magic and ensured that its owner would always be of comfortable wealth. After selling the gold ring they quickly became very poor. They were so poor that they were unable to provide filling meals to their pets: a dog named Rigby and a cat named Holly. “We’re starving Rigby. It’s been months since we’ve had a filling meal,” complained Holly. “I know. If only we could get the gold ring back. Things would be better,” replied Rigby. “I know!” exclaimed Holly. “We could get the ring back. The new owner lives just across the river.” “You know they keep the gold ring locked in a chest. How would we ever get it back?” Rigby questioned. “I’ll catch a mous...