Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales Part B

Beth Gellert
(Blue Greyhound from Wikipedia Commons)

Plot: There once was a prince who had a greyhound he loved very much named Gellert. This greyhound was his best hunting dog and as gentle as a lamb. One day the prince was going for a hunt and called for Gellert but he did not come. He went without Gellert and did not get much game. When he came home he found Gellert and noticed there was blood on his lips and fangs. The prince had a one-year-old son Gellert sometimes played with and in a panic, the prince ran to his nursery. In the nursery there was blood everywhere. Distraught, the prince stabbed Gellert with a sword, killing him to avenge his son's death. Then the prince hears a baby's cry. The young son was laying outside his crib and next to it was the carcass of a giant wolf. Realizing his error, the prince wept but there was no way to bring his beloved Gellert back to life.

Lesson: Don't doubt your most faithful companions.

Ideas: This story is really sad and I would like to retell it but maybe instead of killing him, the prince would just injure the dog and then do his best to make it up to him when the truth comes to light.

Story Source: This story is from Celtic Fairy Tales by Joesph Jacobs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo