Skip to main content

Week 9 Story: Why Cats and Dogs aren't Friends

Why Cats and Dogs aren't Friends

(Cat and Dog Fighting from Wikipedia Commons)

There once was a man and a wife who lived in a village. They weren’t rich but they weren’t poor either. One day, foolishly, they decided to sell a valuable gold ring to increase their riches. Unbeknownst to them, the gold ring was magic and ensured that its owner would always be of comfortable wealth. After selling the gold ring they quickly became very poor. They were so poor that they were unable to provide filling meals to their pets: a dog named Rigby and a cat named Holly.

“We’re starving Rigby. It’s been months since we’ve had a filling meal,” complained Holly.

“I know. If only we could get the gold ring back. Things would be better,” replied Rigby.

“I know!” exclaimed Holly. “We could get the ring back. The new owner lives just across the river.”

“You know they keep the gold ring locked in a chest. How would we ever get it back?” Rigby questioned.

“I’ll catch a mouse and threaten to eat it. To save its life the mouse will do anything I ask. I’ll force it to chew a hole through the bottom of the trunk, grab the ring, and bring it to us,” outlined Holly.

Encouraged by their newfound plan the two set out on their adventure. Holly quickly caught a mouse and forced it to agree. Carrying the mouse in her mouth, Holly and Rigby soon reached the river.

“Oh no!” exclaimed Rigby. “How are we going to get the mouse to the house?”

“Don’t worry,” said Holly around the mouse in her mouth. “You’ll simply swim across the river and I will sit on your back with the mouse.”

Rigby quickly swam across the river and the three animals reached the house. Holly sent the mouse in and he came back out with the gold ring.

“I want to carry the ring,” whined Rigby “You got to carry the mouse all the way here. I want to help too.”

Trusting her friend, Holly agreed to the plan.

The two reached the other side of the riverbank and began to set out for home both in good spirits. Each was thinking about the big meal that awaited them when they showed their owners what they had done.

Suddenly Rigby was struck by a thought. He had done the most work. Without him how would they have crossed the river? They could never have completed the task. It wasn’t fair that he would have to share the praise equally with Holly. His mind clouded with jealousy, Rigby hatched a plan.

“Hey Holly,” Rigby prodded innocently, “Why don’t we race each other home? It will be fun!”

“Sure,” responded Holly, “You know I’m going to beat you. I can just go over the houses and you have to go all the way around.”

“We’ll see about that,” said Rigby. “On your mark. Get set. Go!”

Holly took off towards the house while Rigby walked slowly. She got home first and turned to taunt Rigby. She became more and more confused when he didn’t arrive. The man and wife found Holly sitting at the front door and scolded her for running off, putting her in her cage. An hour later Rigby came in. When the man and wife saw he had the golden ring in his mouth they began to heap praises on him. Thanking him profusely, they gave Rigby a meaty bone and a seat in front of the fire.
The next day Holly confronted Rigby.

“We got that ring together,” said Holly indignantly. “How could you take all the credit? I thought we were friends!”

“I was more important than you. Without me, you wouldn’t have crossed the river and we would never have gotten the ring. It’s not fair I would have to split the glory with you,” replied Rigby.

“You should always be happy to share your good fortune with your friend. You have shown to me that you are selfish and egotistical. We’re not friends,” replied Holly.


To this day dogs and cats don’t get along.

Author's Note: I based this story on Why the Dog and Cat are enemies from The Chinese Fairy Book by R. Wilhem. The original story goes much like the one above except it is the cat who betrays the dog. The cat beats the dog home with the ring in its mouth and takes all the credit while the dog gets beaten by the man and his wife. I switched the roles because I personally prefer cats to dogs and feel like they get a bad rep. I also took out the beating part since that seemed cruel and made the central hurt the loss of a friendship. For this story I tried to focus on writing a lot of it in dialogue since that is definitely the part of writing I struggle with the most.

Comments

  1. Meghan,
    I also read that story as one of my readings and I really liked it! It was creative to switch the “good guy” and the “bad guy”. However, personally, having both cats and dogs, I think the cat would be more likely to betray the dog, not even in a malicious way, more of a mischievous way. My cat’s name is Pester and he would definitely take the credit if given the chance!
    I enjoyed reading it and I felt the added dialog helped keep it flowing.
    Great job!
    -Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan!

    I didn't read this story but your retelling was super easy to follow along with so I wasn't ever confused or lost. I personally like that you switched the roles of the cat and the dog, as I feel that cats are unfairly thought of as selfish and conniving. I'm also glad you took out the beating from the original story, as I don't think I'd like to read that at all. I think the dialogue also enhanced the story and made the cat and the dog more fleshed out characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghan,

    This was an interesting story to explain why cats and dogs do not get along. I have not thought much about why cats and dogs tend to behave this way, but it is nice to see that someone has. I see why you changed from the cat being the betrayer. I am partial to dogs, so I probably would have left it how it was. I do like both cats and dogs though, and I am glad you saved both of them from the cruel fate that was in the original tale. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Meghan!

    I love what you did with this story! It was so engaging and well-written and, having never read the original, I didn't even know how it was going to end (though of course you switched the cat's and dog's roles). I, too, love cats and think far too many people are not aware of how smart and sweet they can be, so I really enjoyed seeing the cat not being the villain in your story!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meghan!
    First off I think you did a great job re-writing this story! You made a good amount of changes, but did a great job keeping the original tone and moral of the story. That’s always tough to do but you seemed to strike a great balance there! I hope I get to read some more of your stories as the semester goes on!
    Best,
    - JD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meghan!

    As a huge animal lover, I absolutely love this story! You did such a greta job! I like that you swapped the animals roles from the original story. This is something I have done as well in my own stories and is such a great way to make a story your own. Again, great job! And I can't wait to read more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meghan,

    I can't believe that is the reason that dogs and cats don't like each other. What a silly reason...
    You wrote a great story, and I really enjoyed reading it! You've made me curious about the original, and I may just have to do an extra reading or two!

    On a side note, my dog and cat have always gotten along really well, so they must have some sort of scheming going on.

    Good luck,
    Brady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there Meghan,
    First of I would like to say I enjoyed this read very much so! I really liked the picture you used for this story, and it really did a good job of explaining the story with just one image. I am definitely an animal lover. I enjoyed how you swapped the roles of the animals from the original stoy and really made it your own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Meghan,
    This was a really cute story. The tone the cat took after the dog betrayed her reminded me of a little kid - so direct! In general, I really liked the way you spaced out your story with lots of dialogue. It made it easy to read and very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d