Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Tejas Legends Part A

The Plant that Grows in Trees
(Mistletoe from Wikipedia Commons)
Plot: Mistletoe used to grow on the ground like other plants until a bird moved it to the trees. A thunderbird could not find any berries so it came down to the ground and ate the berries from the mistletoe. After eating, the bird thanked the plant. The mistletoe was very sad and told the bird he would die anyway since he is the only plant with berries all year long. The thunderbird took pity on the plant and carried it up to the mesquite tree and placed it there. The plant was grateful but was saddened that he would survive and his seeds would fall to the ground where they would grow and be eaten by animals. To this, the thunderbird said the seeds would stick to the tree and would grow in the trees. In this way, the thunderbird saved the mistletoe from other animals and now mistletoe grows on trees.

Lesson: The Tejas legends which I read for Part A had a lot of origin stories like the one I described. A lot of the stories give background or reasoning for animals and/or natural phenomena. Some of the stories have a morality lesson, this one did not. I liked it because it was just a fun story about why mistletoe grows in trees.

Ideas: To write a story similar to this I would probably focus on a different plant origin story. Maybe a reason why ivy clings to buildings. In this way, I would keep the general idea of the story type but make it completely my own.

Story Source: This was from When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends retold by Florence Stratton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d