Skip to main content

Week 10 Lab: Writer's Write

For this week's story lab, I explored the Writer's Write website and read three different articles. My thoughts on each will be summarized below. Overall I liked this site a lot. There were so many different types of articles about every aspect of writing. I will say that there were so many ads on the site it took forever to get pages to load which was a disappointment.
(Bookstore from Pixabay)

45 Ways to Avoid Using the Word Never This article is mostly just a list of adjectives to use instead of very. For example, instead of saying very tired, say exhausted. I chose to read this article because I know that I sometimes fall into the very trap. I just get lazy and don't want to think too hard about another, stronger word so I just put in very. To combat that I can definitely come back to this article when I feel stuck to give my writing more oomph.

The 17 Most Popular Genres in Fiction I was interested to read this article because there are so many genres I have never really thought about. I was interested to see what kind of genres would be the most popular. I consider myself a reader who is open to any drama but typically prefers a mystery novel. I also enjoy sci-fi, fantasy, horror, young adult, and thriller but I prefer only select sub-genres of those larger genres. I also found it interesting to put a name to the genres of books I read. The final genre was literary fiction which perfectly described the types of books I do not like. I prefer heavily plot-driven books and therefore usually don't like literary fiction as it is very slow.

5 Secret Tricks to Make Your Writing Stronger I read this article to see if there were any tips I could apply to my own writing. A lot of the tips focus on specificity and imagery. This is definitely one of my weak points as I have a hard time describing a scene visually. The examples the article gives definitely illustrate the power of adding more detail and specificity to scenes. It is details like that which transport a reader to the world created by you, so it is definitely something I want to work on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo...

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Week 9 Story: Why Cats and Dogs aren't Friends

Why Cats and Dogs aren't Friends (Cat and Dog Fighting from Wikipedia Commons ) There once was a man and a wife who lived in a village. They weren’t rich but they weren’t poor either. One day, foolishly, they decided to sell a valuable gold ring to increase their riches. Unbeknownst to them, the gold ring was magic and ensured that its owner would always be of comfortable wealth. After selling the gold ring they quickly became very poor. They were so poor that they were unable to provide filling meals to their pets: a dog named Rigby and a cat named Holly. “We’re starving Rigby. It’s been months since we’ve had a filling meal,” complained Holly. “I know. If only we could get the gold ring back. Things would be better,” replied Rigby. “I know!” exclaimed Holly. “We could get the ring back. The new owner lives just across the river.” “You know they keep the gold ring locked in a chest. How would we ever get it back?” Rigby questioned. “I’ll catch a mous...