Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Blackfoot Stories Part A

The Theft from the Sun
(Arapaho Leggings from Wikipedia Commons)

Plot: There was an Old Man who was on a journey and went to the Sun's lodge. There the Sun said they should go hunting for deer meat. The Old Man agreed. The Sun showed the Old Man his special leggings which set fire to brush so that the deer would flee and could be easily killed. The Old Man decided he wanted to steal the leggings after seeing their usefulness. The two went hunting and that night the Old Man stole the leggings and walked as far from the Sun's lodge as he could. When he woke up he found that he was back in the lodge. When the Sun asked why he had the leggings he said he used them as a pillow. The Old Man repeated this thievery the next night only this time he ran as far as he could. Again he woke up in the Sun's lodge because the whole world is the Sun's lodge. The Sun told him since he wanted the leggings so much he could have them. The Old Man took them and went to set fire to the brush the same way the Sun had when the flames caught him on fire. He had to run into the river to save himself and the leggings were ruined.

Lesson: Don't be selfish and steal
Ideas: I think I would like to take this story into modern time. I would keep the two characters the same but maybe instead of leggings, it would just be shoes. Instead of setting fire to things maybe they would just make you run very fast? Or something like that.

Story Source: This story is from Blackfeet Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d