Skip to main content

Week 7 Story: The Ferret Gets His Karma

The Ferret Gets His Karma

(The Ferret Wikipedia Commons)
There once was a ferret who was married to a fox. The two were happy together and had a son that they named Austin. Despite their happiness, the two did not have enough food to provide for their small family.  

Ferrets and foxes are well known for their cleverness and their magical abilities. Deciding to use these gifts, the ferret and fox hatched a plan to provide for their family. The fox would magic herself into a woman and sell the ferret to a merchant for its coat. The ferret would pretend to be dead and then escape once the merchant had handed over the money.

The fox turned herself into an old woman and went into town. She sold the ferret and took the money to buy plenty of fruit and food for the family before returning home. The ferret played dead until the merchant set him down and then sprinted away back to his family in the forest. For a while the family was happy and all was well.

As time went on and Austin got older the family again fell on hard times. Annoyed at his wife, the ferret demanded she play dead this time while he transformed into the old man. The fox agreed. They went into town to perform the ruse again, only this time the ferret had hatred in his heart. When he sold the fox to a merchant, he saw an opportunity to rid himself of his wife. He whispered in the merchant’s ear that the fox wasn’t truly dead. The merchant then smashed the fox’s head, killing her instantly.

Happy with his ruse the ferret went home with his money and food. Selfishness and greed had darkened the ferret’s heart and he no longer shared all his bounty with Austin. Time went on and the ferret’s heart only became darker. Eventually, Austin began to suspect what had happened to his mother and formulated a revenge plan.

He went to his father one day claiming to be better at magic. Enraged, the ferret demanded that Austin transform himself into any form and he would be able to see through it. Agreeing to the plan, Austin hid under a bridge as a king and his guards crossed it. The ferret attacked the king and shouting that he knew it was Austin. The guards, startled by the attack, took the ferret and threw him into the river. In this way, the ferret learned his lesson and Austin avenged his mother.


Author’s Note: I based this story on How the Wicked Tanuki was Punished, a story from The Crimson Fairybook translated by Andrew Lang. I pretty much did a straight retelling of the story. The only difference between mine and the original is that the tanuki became a ferret. A tanuki is a sort of raccoon dog creature. I changed that to a ferret because I was unfamiliar with a tanuki and had a hard time visualizing the story because of that.

Comments

  1. Hey, Meghan!

    I thought you did a nice job retelling this story. Straight retellings can be tricky, because you need to walk the line between staying true to the original, without plagiarizing it but I think you found the balance well. This is a really brutal fairy tale, too. I'm learning that many of the classic tales we know (e.g. the Disney versions) are MUCH different than the myths that originally inspired them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meghan!
    Your story was pretty interesting and unique! I have to admit, the first paragraph's collection of oddities caught me somewhat off-guard, but not enough to not enjoy the story (fox/ferret marriage? Magic?). I enjoyed your more modern tone to bring a traditional story into a more modern sense. Myself having also never seen a tanuki, the ferret was definitely a great choice for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,

    This story intruiged me from beginning to end. You have a great skill at making the reader feel empathy for certain characters, and despise others. Your tone and characterization really made this come to life. I was initially a bit shocked about the ferret and fox combination; ferrets are considered rodents and foxes are canines, but it was a charmbing combination nonetheless (at first). I would have loved to see more of Austin, so clever! This was super enjoyable to read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Meghan, what an interesting story! I admit that the first thing I wondered while I read your story was what Austin must look like, being a half-fox and a half-ferret. I suspect he’s very, very hairy. It’s a shame that the ferret allowed his irritation at his wife to manifest and develop into such hatred for both his wife and his son. I have to wonder, did the fox do anything specific to cause such hatred? Or was the ferret just tired of living with a fox? Great story either way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meghan!

    Wow, that story was really something! Trying to imagine Austin as a half-fox and half-ferret was kinda challenging to me, but I love the idea of that very much! I really liked the way the story seemed to flow and grab my interest almost immediately, so great job there! It was sad to see that the ferret resented his wife and children so deeply, but the world is rough and that happens in human life. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meghan!
    I haven't read the original story, but I definitely enjoyed this version. I didn't expect that the ferret would deceive his wife like that, but you made it seem natural and part of his character. It's too bad they couldn't just use their magic to procure food and money instead of having to do all of that complicated trickery...
    Also, there's something sort of comical about a ferret fox baby in a fairy tale being named something as modern as Austin. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d