Skip to main content

Time Management Strategies

After reading through some of the time management articles the two that really spoke to me were The Psychology of Checklists and Eat the Frogs First Thing in the Morning. Before college, I never really worried about time management because life is so structured in high school. You know exactly where you're going and what you're doing basically every day. On top of that, I didn't have to study very much in high school so I didn't have to plan in learning time. Since coming to school I've learned the error of my ways. I am the kind of person who thrives on structure. Even the thought of going on a vacation without planning makes me want to break out in hives. This type A nature is why checklists really appeal to me. As The Psychology of Checklists explores there is something so satisfying to me about breaking down something hard into manageable tasks and crossing off each task as I complete it. If I go off checklist that's totally fine, but as long as it's there I know I can stay focused for the day.

In addition to a checklist forward management strategy, I realized the morning is so important to my day. I hate morning and am a huge night owl, but I hate doing work after seven or eight at night because I want to have fun. This attitude meant when I first came to school and would sleep until like 11 or 12 I had no time to accomplish anything. This lead me to realize I needed to set a steady time to get up in the morning and get some of my work done. As the Eat the Frogs First Thing in the Morning article points out it's best for me to get the worst part of my day done early during my least favorite part of the day. These two strategies are really how I manage my time effectively in college. Once I get into the swing of the first couple weeks of class hopefully I can get into a routine for completing my work.
(Pocket Watch from Wikipedia Commons)

Comments

  1. Hi Meghan,

    I'm also a very Type-A person, so I love reading other people's thoughts about their best ways to stay organized and be productive. I'm a huge fan of checklists as well. Getting to cross off something of my to-do list is a huge motivator to me, even though it seems so small! I love being able to look at my list at the end of the day and see everything that I've accomplished. Good luck with the rest of the semester, and I hope our checklists keep us motivated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d