Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche, Part B

Reading Notes The Jar of Beauty/The Sleep of the Dead

(Psyche Asleep by Anthony Van Dyck at Wikipedia)

Plot: In this part of the second half of Cupid and Psyche's tale, Psyche has completed her last task from Venus. She has journeyed into the underworld and come out with divine beauty in a jar. She is unable to contain her curiosity though and decides to open the jar since she did all that work to get it. Inside the jar is not actually divine beauty, but the Sleep of the Dead. Cupid healed from his wounds wants to see Psyche and finds her in the sleep of the dead. He saves her from her sleep and puts it back in the jar.

Characters: For the particular part of the story I focus on only Psyche is in it. Cupid joins in at the end to save Psyche.

Lesson: I feel that there is not really a lesson in this story which I do not like. I was disappointed that Psyche did not learn her lesson and again let her curiosity keep her from her happiness.

Ideas: I would definitely like to change the story so that Psyche is not tricked again in the same manner. I would rather she learn her lesson and not look in the jar.

Story Source: From The Golden Ass by Tony Kline

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d