Skip to main content

Reading Notes: More English Tales Part B

Catskin
(Royal Ball from Wikipedia Commons)
Plot: There once was a rich man who wanted a son and instead had a daughter. Distraught he asked to never see her again. When she was old enough to be wed her dad said to marry her off to the first one to take her. This ended up being a gross old man so to postpone the marriage she asked for a cloak of silver, beaten gold, a feather of every bird in the sky, and catskin. When all of those had been provided she wrapped herself in the catskin and ran away. She got a job in the castle as a scullery maid where everyone called her Catskin. One day the prince had a ball to find a wife. Catskin wanted to go to the ball so she dressed in her silver cloak. The prince fell in love with her instantly. At the end of the night she had to go back to work as a maid. The prince, desperate to find her hosts two more balls and she attends them in her remaining cloaks. The final night the prince follows her and discovers that the woman he loves is the maid Catskin. He falls ill and says the only thing that can cure him is marrying Catskin. They marry and live happily ever after.

Idea: This story is almost identical to another fairy tale I used to really like when I was a kid called Donkeyskin. I would probably just do a straight retelling of the story since most of the plot points would be hard to translate into modern times.

Story Source: From More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Story: The King and the Farmer's Daughter

There once was a village on the edge of a large kingdom. In this village lived the beautiful and clever daughter of a poor farmer and his wife. In this kingdom, there also lived a king renowned for his riches and power. One day the king came to the village to collect taxes where he caught sight of the girl. Struck by her beauty, he went to her parents and demanded her hand in marriage. While her parents did not want to force their daughter into a marriage, they did not wish to enrage such a powerful king. They went to their daughter and informed her of the king’s demands. The girl asked to speak to the king herself. The next day the king met the girl at her home. Once again struck by her beauty, the king demanded, “Be my bride.” The girl responded, “My lord, I am but the daughter of a lowly farmer, I am not worthy of being your bride. My parents do not have any money to their name.” The king was so in love with her beauty he granted her all the jewels in the castle treasury. The next d

Comment Wall

Here is my storybook site! (Ring on Book by Ylanite Koppens ) Will You Marry Me?

Introduction to Meghan a ChemE Major

In case you couldn't tell from the incredibly boring title, I am not great at talking about myself. I always have a hard time deciding what actually makes me interesting or what people want to hear about me so I'll start with the basics.  I am a senior chemical engineering major here at OU. I have three cats at home but they're a pretty new addition so I don't have any pictures yet (sad I know). I've always wanted a dog but my mom doesn't like them so here we are. I never tell anyone I'm from somewhere since my family has moved almost every three years since I can remember. To date I have lived in: Hazen, ND, Salt Lake City, UT, San Antonio, TX, Ardmore, OK, San Antonio, TX (again), Nashville, TN, Prosper, TX, and of course Norman, OK. Moving around so much gave me a lot of appreciation for new places and new people. I enjoy traveling and am not afraid to go somewhere new. After graduation, I will be moving to Memphis, TN to start my new job! (Photo